Monday, January 13, 2014

The Case of the Smellies.

Monday presented a few challenges. The kids were a little crazy today during the math lesson. We worked on subtraction with regrouping. Because we had already been over this subject, the majority of the students completed this lesson with ease. Like always, I introduced the lesson by recalling previous information.  I made sure the students were telling me how to solve the problems. I went over the first page with them, one problem at a time, while asking the students to help me, step by step, solve the problem.

Weaknesses: The students were pretty rowdy so it was difficult to maintain the attention of the class. When the noise level became so that I became frustrated I had the use the "d" word. I had to tell them I was disappointed in them. After that the class seemed to settle down; the started paying attention and either decided to work on old homework or read a book.

Lunch happened. (Yay mental break!)

Today began my first week in charge of the writing portion and we completed thank you notes. Last week all of the students received beanies with our school pride on them so we focused on thanking the people who helped make them possible.

Because it was my first time working with the students on writing, I was unsure about their content knowledge. So I put the assignment in their hands by asking them what made up letter writing. I asked the students what made up a letter and they answered:

"You need the date."

"You have to start with dear."

"Don't forget your capitals."

I had the students guide my entire lesson by telling me what they already knew about writing letters.

Teacher Read:



Tomorrow I will be using this book as the writing portion of the class. It's about a man who eats magical figs that make all of this dreams come true. My writing prompt will be something like, "If I had a magical fig..." (Still in the works.)

On another note, today the super students were able to take off their shoes during class time...

...and someone had really bad gas.

Smelly day.

No comments: